Monday, October 28, 2013

Make That Move Monday Feature: DJ Oreo!


DJ Oreo w/ Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Chance the Rapper, and Sway

Today we had the pleasure of chatting it up with DJ Oreo from the west side of Chicago. He recently came back from touring with Chance the Rapper and Macklemore in Europe so we decided to ask him a few questions about what he does and what he plans to do in the future. Check out the interview and a dope visual of him in action below!


LAB: Who is DJ Oreo?
DO: A dj..well naw not a dj…I call myself the “one man concert.” I’m a leader. I’m just a young guy from the Westside of Chicago who chased his dream and is still chasing it because nothing is ever certified no matter how much money you have. I wanna be able to look up one day and say that I accomplished my dreams, which is to travel the world as a great DJ and be able to give back to my community as well as the people who did what they had to do for me. I’m an innovator, an inspirer. A Teacher.

LAB: Tell us about a time you ever doubted yourself.
DO: I’ve never really doubted myself but at one point in time I was wondering what are my other skills besides being a DJ. Like August 2012 I wanna say….I was working at Wendys and I hated my life…eating a lot of bacon. The five months I was working there, I was like naw this ain’t me. So my uncle gave me some advice…..If you give yourself a time limit and in that time limit you give it all that you got…you eat, breathe, sleep, speak, blink, think, talk whatever it is you wanna do in life and in my case it was DJ’n. and that’s what I did. I wanna say 7 months after I left Wendy’s I had my first trip in March with Chance the Rapper. I started Dj’n for him.

LAB: What helped you restore your faith?
DO: My right hand man, my bro Calez. He’s a rapper. I met him one day in the summer downtown. I told him if he needed anything call me. He just started teaching me about the ways of the universe I guess. Like the way the universe works, the energies in the world, the laws of attraction. And through that time, I just started doing lil things with him and I met new people like Alex Wiley, Kembe X, and then I met Chance. It was Calez. He helped me help myself and restore my faith. The journey to fame is the true test. When you finally make it to where you are is not the hardest part. Making it there is the hardest part. You have to speak it into existence.

LAB: Share with us some of your performance rituals.
DO: It’s a moment in time when I’m walking to up whatever set of stairs….I pray before I go onstage. I take a step back and just look at where I’m at. I think about where I came from and look at where I’m at now because at any time it can be taken away. The process is just humbling myself and hoping that my mom is smiling down at me and my friends that have passed away.

LAB: What’s some of your next moves?
DO: {laughter]…I wish I knew….I didn’t even know those moves when I got them. But the next move is just to keep going honestly. I don’t wanna limit myself for the rest of my life as a DJ behind somebody but I wanna have one of the greatest resumes of all time as a DJ. I wanna be the Dj known for his type of parties.  I wanna throw my own super/ mega-fest, tomorrowland type parties. Like “aw DJ Oreo threw this party with 15,000 people ..and it was the best shit of my life.”

Check him out at djoreo.com and follow him on twitter and instagram @djoreo90 


Also don't forget to catch Chance the Rapper on 106 & Park tonight!! 

No comments: